1. Who would you most likely drunk dial and what would you say to them?
Oh, it would be Shameelah. I met her in South Africa when I was an exchange student and we clicked so well. We were like sisters then, and after I returned home we wrote these looong emails to each other. But we were worlds apart. I felt the pressure to live up to that big connection, which sometimes stopped me from contacting her. So I would call her and say, “hey, I love you, you’re so cool, I suck, I’m sorry, when are you coming to Europe?”
2. What is your favourite Dutch word and why?
Ehh, well, I only know like 5 words so it’s not gonna be hard to choose. It’s Pindakaas, because it’s funny to say peanut cheese and I like eating it (peanut butter, that is).
3. What did you want to become when you were a kid?
When I was 4 or so, I saw Free Willy and I fell in love with killer whales. So I decided I wanna be a whale trainer. It’s ironic actually: the movie is about setting him free and I was imagining being close to them and keeping them in these contained environments. Hmm…
4. What’s your final meal before your death penalty?
(Jokingly:) Chee kofte (as we are sitting in Komagene).
I think I have two answers: It’s either stuffing my face with lots of cake and chocolate, because I don’t have to care about being fit or healthy anymore, or absolutely nothing, because I would be nervous knowing I will die. I can’t eat when I’m nervous.
5. Do you crumple or fold your toilet paper?
I for sure fold it. You can use so many sides of the paper, if you crumple, whoop it’s gone, and it’s a waste.
6. What’s your most favourite Tetris building block and why?
I guess it would be the Z, as it’s kind of dynamic.
7. Should there be a wall between The US and Mexico? (If so, what should it be made of?)
Yeah… You know “The Emperor’s new Clothes” story? Just like that, there should be a wall presented to Trump as the newest see through tech.
8. Which Disney character would you be and why?
Moana – she is “just” a hero: she has no desire to fall in love and be a princess. No, she wants to save her island and people.
9. Locked for an hour in a small room full of spiders or snakes- pick one.
Spiders, please. I would hate that too but I have like a phobia for snakes. I would probably faint from fear. Even if you just say the word, I feel nauseous (makes a funny sound).
10. What would your power be if you were a superhero? Why?
I first think about mind power things, like reading minds or looking into the future. But I would be a little scared about those; they can make you go crazy. So, I hope I’d have a physical power. Being super strong is always useful.
11. Do you hold a record in something?
Yehh.. I was born 5.9 kilos! Which made me the second heaviest baby born in that hospital. Apparently nurses kept coming and checking me out, saying “ye, ye, it’s that one”. Obviously, my mum had a C-section.
12. Are you a black horse or a white horse?
You know what? I think I am one of those white horses that throws a black blanket on, as a cover for others. I have a desire to be a black horse, which I guess is not very realistic. So yeah, when you peel off the outer layers, there is a white horse underneath.
Written by Tulya Kavaklioglu.