About WOW-EFFECT Theater
Founded in 2014, WOW-EFFECT Theater has put several successful original and existing plays on the stages of Nijmegen, Arnhem, Utrecht and Kleve (Germany).
- We were chosen to be the first in-house amateur theatre group of De Lindenberg, working together with their staff to improve our project “The Lost Boy“.
- We participated in the amateur theatre festival “The Play of Nijmegen” and were able to get into the finals.
- We performed our play “Inbetween” in Lindenberg as well as in de Kliff in Nijmegen-Noord, in the Zimihc Theater Wittevrouwen in Utrecht and the Theater Het Hof in Arnhem.
- We crossed the borders with our play “Home Again”, and not only performed it twice in Thiemeloods (Bottendaal) but also in the XOX Theater in Kleve, Germany.
We furthermore offer a free workshop at the beginning of each theatre season to the general public and have offered Dutch-languaged workshop for the residents of the neighborhood Wolfskuil. We have worked together with the Allgemeiner Studierendenausschuss (AstA; General Student’s Committee) from the Hochschule Rhein-Waal in Germany, aiming to connect students, teachers and expats in Germany with their Dutch counterparts in Nijmegen.
We have also done outreach programs with and for refugees. Our second play of 2016 (“Home Again”) was written with help by refugees in Nijmegen (Heumensoord) and in the Niederrhein area of Germany. We worked together with the XOX Theater in Kleve to bring the performance on stage there and worked with the Haus der Begegnung (a meeting place for locals and refugees) to promote and shape this performance.
Each year we hold a few events at different points in the season.
- Free acting workshop: Around each September-October, we offer a workshop full of acting and team building exercises, as well as improv games, to anyone who is interested in and fully for free. The workshoppers who liked the experience join our team for the upcoming production.
- Alumni gathering: Traditionally on the first Saturday of December, we get together with current and previous WOW-EFFECTers for some fun times.
- Shared rehearsal: 27 march, World Theatre Day, is all about cooperation, collaboration and love for us. What better to way to celebrate it than sharing a rehearsal with 1-2 other groups? We get to bond, learn from each other’s acting / directing styles, give each other feedback… And last but not least, share some beers after 😉
- Open Rehearsal: April 1st is our birthday and it’s no joke. Each year, as a celebration, we open our doors to our fans and welcome them to a rehearsal where we not only share some progress from our current production but also enjoy some acting exercises together.
We cherish all these events very much. And we hope to have you in one of them!
Is your group interested in sharing a rehearsal with us around 27 march? Please contact us! We’d love to hear from you!